Of course it’s sad to see an old tree felled but its loss has given us a new lovely, open view of Goostrey’s St. Luke’s church.
A wooden framed church was built on the mound around 1220 and was replaced – because it was too cold to sit in! – by the present Grade ll listed, neoclassical style brick one in 1792. The church font is from the 15th century, the oldest of the six bells was cast in 1606 and the stained glass windows date from around 1876. The 1,200 year old yew tree suggests that the mound on which the church is built was a focal point for the community during the ‘Dark Age’ of the first Millennium.