This weeks Easter recipe is one of Sue’s Spring favourites! Homemade hot cross buns, yum!
Ingredients for the dough
1/2 tsp yeast
225g (8 0z) Strong White Flour
1 tsp sugar
25g (1 oz) butter
1tbsp milk powder
1/2 tsp salt
Additional ingredients required
100g (4 oz) mixed dried fruit
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 mixed spice
- Knead the dough (link below of a video of how to make it)
2. Add the additional ingredients 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp mixed spice to basic dough ingredients and carry on kneading until thoroughly mixed in with the dough, the add mixed dried fruit.
3. Divide the mixture into eight balls. Place on a lightly greased baking tray and allow to prove. Make a paste with approx 2 tbsp flour mixed with 2 tbsp water and pipe a cross over the buns, or top with thin slices of shortcrust pastry.
4. Bake at 220 degrees/ 425 F/ Gas Mark 7 for 15-20 mins or until golden brown.
5. While still HOT, brush with a sugar glaze (40g/ 1 1/2 oz) sugar in 4 tbsp water, boiled until a syrup is reached (approx. 5 mins)
Researcher and Writer